Last Updated: December 30, 2019
QUICK GUIDE CONTENTS
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- COOKIES, MOBILE IDs AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
- INFORMATION USE
- SHARING OF INFORMATION
- SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- YOUR INFORMATION CHOICES AND OPT-OUTS
- DATA STORAGE
- YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
- THIRD-PARTY CONTENT, LINKS, AND PLUG-INS
- CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
- QUESTIONS/ CONTACT US
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information from you in various ways, including through information you provide to us directly, information we or other third parties automatically collect or infer, and information we receive from third parties. This includes data that identifies you personally whether directly (e.g., your name) or indirectly (e.g., information about your online use).
A. Information You Provide
We collect information you directly provide to us through our Sites, in our stores and through your other interactions with us. This may include when you use our Sites, register or create an online account with or through the Sites, purchase products, request information from us, sign up for newsletters or our email list, use our services, enter into sweepstakes or other promotions, fill out a survey, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with or contact us.
The information we collect from you generally falls into the following categories:
- Contact Details: We collect your contact information, such as name, postal address, email address, telephone or mobile number, fax number, or other similar identifiers.
- Financial Data: If you make a purchase from us, we collect a credit/debit card number and related financial information (such as CVV, expiration date, and billing address), depending on the form of payment you choose.
- Transaction Details: We collect details about your purchases or other transactions with us, including, but not limited to, your transaction or purchase history, transaction channel, or the general location of the store you visit.
- Account Information: You may choose to register for an account to make a purchase or use certain services. We collect information from you regarding your account registration, such as an email and password.
- Marketing and Communications Data: We collect data concerning your preferences in receiving marketing, other targeted information from us, and your contact preferences.
- Demographic Data: When you create an account online or at other times, such as in surveys, we may request that you provide birth month and day, gender and other demographic details, such as information about your shopping preferences.
- Content and Files: We may collect other information about you based on your interactions with us or that you choose to provide to us. For example, if you submit a product review you have the option to provide photographs or other information about yourself, and if you send us email messages or other communications, we will collect and retain those communications.
When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. And you may use app or device controls to prevent certain types of automatic data collection. But if you choose not to provide or allow information that is necessary for certain Sites or features, those Sites or features may not be available or function correctly.
B. Information We Automatically Collect
When you visit or interact with our Sites, we may use a variety of technologies such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, or other technologies to automatically or passively collect certain information about your online activity. Please note that we automatically collect the following information about you:
D. Information Collected From Other Sources
We obtain information from other trusted sources to validate or supplement the information that you provide or that we collect automatically. These third-party sources and the categories of personal data we obtain from these third parties include, for example:
Third Party Sources Categories of Personal Data Data brokers. Data brokers and aggregators from whom we obtain data to supplement, validate or update the data we collect. Contact details, financial data, transaction details, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences Third party partners. Third party applications and services, including social networks you choose to connect with or interact with through our services, that make users’ information available to others. Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences Co-Branding/Joint Partners. Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities. Contact details, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences Service providers. Third parties that collect or provide data in connection with work they do on our behalf, for example companies that determine your device’s location based on its IP address. Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences Publicly available sources. Public domain sources of information such as open government databases. Contact details, marketing and communications data, demographic data
E. Combination of Information; Inferences
We combine the information we collect from and about you, including information you provide to us and information we automatically collect through our Sites, as well as information collected offline, across other computers or devices that you may use, and from third party sources. We infer new information from other data we collect, including using automated means to generate information about your likely preferences or other characteristics (“inferences”). For example, we infer your city, state, and country location based on your IP address, or product or shopping preferences based on your transaction history.
2. COOKIES, MOBILE IDs AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
3. INFORMATION USE
A. Use of Information by SOREL
We use information we collect for purposes described in this Policy or as disclosed to you in other ways including on our Sites, in our stores, or in connection with our services. We may use this information to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect, personalize your experience on the Sites, target our communications so that we can inform you of products, services or other offers that may be of interest to you, to measure ad quality and responses, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes. For example, we may use your information to:
We also use your information to provide you with other services or for other purposes as disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent. In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect from different sources to give you a more seamless, consistent, and personalized experience.
4. SHARING OF INFORMATION
Certain sections of our Sites are designed as open and public community areas for connecting and sharing with other people. When you sign up for or participate in these areas you will be asked to provide certain information that may be displayed publicly along with photos, stories, posts, product reviews and other information you choose to provide. We may also post or publish your information when you submit comments, stories, photos, and videos in connection with surveys, contests, sweepstakes, or promotions offered on the Sites.
We share personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete your transactions or provide the products you have requested or authorized. For example, when you provide payment data to make a purchase, we will share that data with banks and other entities as necessary for payment processing, fraud prevention, credit risk reduction, or other related financial services.
In addition, we share all the categories of your personal information described above with third parties as follows:
- with your consent, including if we notify you on the Sites that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information or when you agree to our sharing of your information with other third parties for their own marketing purposes subject to their separate privacy policies;
- with our subsidiaries and affiliates including common data systems to process personal information as needed to provide our products and operate our business;
- with third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf and need access to your information to carry out their work for us for the purposes described in this Policy, including fulfilling orders or assisting us in advertising our products and services on third party websites;
- if you choose to enter into one of our sweepstakes, contests, or other promotions (a “Promotion”) we may disclose your information to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, as required by law, as otherwise permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, or otherwise in accordance with the terms of this Policy;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of corporate transactions or proceedings such as a merger, sale of company assets, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, divestiture, or other transfer of all or a portion of our business to another company.
Finally, we may share other de-identified information in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that some of our Sites include references or links to sites provided by third parties whose privacy practices differ from ours. If you provide personal data to any of those third parties, or consent to our sharing personal data with them, that data is governed by their privacy statements.
5. SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
SOREL takes reasonable and appropriate measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Despite our reasonable efforts to help ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee our security measures. To help protect personal information, we request that you use a strong password and never share your password with anyone or use the same password with other sites or accounts.
6. YOUR INFORMATION CHOICES AND OPT-OUTS
A. Choices for Cookies and Similar Technologies
B. Unsubscribing from our Marketing Communications
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from SOREL by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of those emails, or by clicking this Unsubscribe Link and entering the email address you wish to unsubscribe. If you choose to opt out of promotional emails, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
You may also send requests about your contact preferences or changes to your information by writing us at:
14375 N.W. Science Park Dr.
Portland, OR 97229
C. Opting Out of Location Collection
You may opt out from allowing SOREL to collect certain geographic location by changing your location preferences in your web browser or on your mobile device. We and others may still collect other geographic location information such as address, city and state that you directly provide or zip code, city and state inferred from your IP address.
7. DATA STORAGE
This website is operated by Columbia Sportswear Company, a company which is headquartered in the United States of America. To provide you with this website and the goods and services you order, your data may be processed by Columbia Sportswear Company, its group companies, and its service providers, who may be located in countries (including the USA) other than your country of residence. These countries may have data protection laws that are different than the laws in your country of residence, but Columbia Sportswear Company will protect your personal information in accordance with applicable data protection law and this Policy at all times.
8. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident and the processing of personal information about you is subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), beginning January 1, 2020 you have certain rights with respect to that information.
Right to Know. You have a right to request that we provide you with the following information:
- The categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we collect personal information.
- The purposes for collecting, using, or selling personal information.
- The categories of third parties with which we share personal information.
- The categories of personal information we have disclosed about you for a business purpose. Note that the CCPA defines “business purpose” broadly; and because we use service providers for a number of business purposes that require access to our systems that hold personal information (such as supplying cloud data storage, maintaining the security of our systems, and providing customer support), in the past 12 months we have disclosed for a business purpose data from all of the categories of personal information that we maintain.
You may make such a “request to know” by completing the form provided here or by contacting us at 1-866-482-1422 during normal business hours. Note that we have provided much of this information in this Policy.
Right to Delete. You also have a right to request that we delete personal information under certain circumstances, subject to a number of exceptions. To make a request to delete, complete the form provided here or contact us at 1-866-482-1422 during normal business hours.
Right to Opt-Out. You have a right to opt-out from future “sales” of personal information. To do so, please see the California Do Not Sell My Info
You may designate, in writing or through a power of attorney, an authorized agent to make requests on your behalf to exercise your rights under the CCPA. Before accepting such a request from an agent, we will require the agent to provide proof you have authorized it to act on your behalf, and we may need you to verify your identity directly with us. You have a right to not be discriminated against for exercising rights set out in the CCPA.
In addition, under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the “Shine the Light” law, if you are a California customer, you may request information about whether a business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. In general, if the business has made such a disclosure of personal information, upon receipt of such a request, the business is required to provide a list of all third parties to whom personal information was disclosed in the preceding calendar year, as well as a list of the categories of personal information that were disclosed. California customers may request further information about our compliance with this law by e-mailing email@example.com with “Your California Privacy Rights” in the subject field. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information. Non-affiliated third parties are independent from SOREL and if you wish to receive information about your disclosure choices or stop communications from such third parties, you will need to contact those non-affiliated third parties directly.
9. THIRD-PARTY CONTENT, LINKS, AND PLUG-INS
The Sites may have links to third-party websites, which may have privacy policies that differ from our own. We are not responsible for the practices of such sites.
10. CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
SOREL will change this Policy from time to time to reflect changes in our products, how we use personal information, or the applicable law. When we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the "Last Updated" date above. If we make material changes to this Policy, we will provide notice or obtain consent regarding such changes as may be required by law.
11. QUESTIONS/CONTACT US
If you have any questions about this Policy or our privacy practices, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.